Cumberland, Maryland - Greene St.
Last Update: Sept 16, 2012
For approximately twenty-four years, from 1811 to 1835, Greene St. and on through Sandy Gap to Gwynn's Tavern in LaVale was the gateway to the Cumberland Road.
As noted in Early Landmarks, construction began "at stone at the corner of Lot No. 1" on Greene St. and extended "along the street westwardly, crossing the hill lying between Cumberland and Gwynn's at the gap where Braddock's road passes it".
In 1835, the route was abandoned in favor of a new alignment through Cumberland, via Mechanic and Centre St. (and later Henderson Blvd.) through the Narrows.
Satellite Photo showing original alignment of the West side bridge. The bridge went from Johnson St., in Cumberland, to the little jog in Bridge St. in Ridgely, WV.
Satellite Photo of the area now known as "The Dingle". Braddock Rd. can be seen in the middle running from the lower left to the upper right (Rt. 49).
MAPS:(1) Greene St. 1873; (2) Current Map
Historic Markers: (1) Braddock's Road; (2) Cumberland Gateway Westward; (3) George Washington at Will's Creek; (4) Headquarters of George Washington; (5) Col. Joshua Fry; (6) Where the Road Began; (7) Riverside Park; (8) Col. Thomas Cresap; (9) The Old National Pike;